So, you haven’t tried any Calvin Klein (CK) plus size pieces yet? Well, you are missing out but big time. Absolutely flawless cuts and lines with the same urban sophistication and quality that we have seen on the runways in the last couple of decades.
What I love the most about CK pieces is that they exemplify a modern sophisticated style, while remaining true to a pure, natural and often minimalistic aesthetics.
Calvin Klein’s unwavering vision of minimal designs and wearable urban styles are part of what make him a fashion icon.
“I’ve always had a clear design philosophy and point of view about being modern, sophisticated, sexy, clean and minimal. They all apply to my design aesthetic.” — Calvin Klein in Women’s Wear Daily.
Klein’s design philosophy is rooted in minimalism (extreme simplicity). He typically uses neutral colors or earth tones (browns), and designs separates (articles of clothing designed to be worn interchangeably with others to form various combinations) that work in many different ensembles, from day to night as well as season to season.
If you like Calvin Klein’s design philosophy, here some tips on achieving the CK look:
- Think: “I have nothing to hide” – they want you to look real and know who you are, then define yourself;
- Imagine a work-ready look that looks good on everyone;
- Choose long, lean lines in whatever you wear ;
- Add standout pieces in reptile, like alligator or crocodile, to your jackets, pants or skirts. Try boots or bags for smaller doses.
- Forget the jewels — less is more for Calvin’s look.
- Find styles in muted and deep tones like gray, ruby red and black.
- Choose lots of leather; wear a trim jacket in the place of a blazer, and not just as outerwear;
- Must have urban uniform: leather skirt, turtleneck, tights and pumps or boots.
- Easy Mix and match colors and fabrics;
- Opt for styles that frame the face through structure, rather than ornamentation — deep V necklines, turtlenecks, buttoned-to-the-top jackets;
- Try a maxi coat for the perfect dramatic complement to spare styles.
The only sad part about CK plus size is that it feels like he is hiding the plus size collection. The official website doesn’t show any look book or anything at all about the plus size collection. I find it rather surprising that being widely recognized as a “marketing genius” CK does not advertise his great work in the plus size world and take advantage of an up-coming and fast growing market.
With that said, I would like to reinforce the fact CK is contributing to the movement, that is, the inclusion of the plus size woman into the fashion industry. Maybe we just need to give him a lot of feedback and just a little push. What do you think? altogether now, heave-ho!
“Fashion is about change and, for me, the philosophy is always the same … that the clothes have to be really modern and make women look really beautiful,” Calvin Klein –CNN
Definitely wise words…You go CK.